Celebrate spring with these refreshing, light cupcakes!!! The fluffy, blackberry cake, filled with strawberry curd, and topped with a smooth, whipped cream, has been one of my favorite bakes! 💜💖💜
This recipe yields 24 cupcakes!
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup, or 1.5 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 24oz blackberries
- 200g strawberries
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks
Whipped Cream (recipe from 365 Days of Baking & More)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- white chocolate candy melts
- purple food gel or powder (no liquid coloring)
- Make the cupcakes: Sift flour, get ingredients to room temperature, preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the blackberries in a pot and add a splash of water, on low-medium heat. When the blackberries have softened, purée with an emergent blender and continue reducing. If you are using a processor, purée the blackberries before heating. Continue to reduce purée until it is thick and syrupy, and measures to about 1 cup. Let cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter on high speed until fluffy and pale. Beat in sugar.
- Beat in egg whites, one at a time, on high speed.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla extract on medium speed.
- Add half of dry ingredients into batter. Mix on **low speed** just until combined. Do not over mix. Pour about half of the reduced blackberry purée, which should be at room temperature. Add in the rest of the flour, and combine. Add in the rest of the raspberry purée. Mix until combined. The batter should be light purple!
- Place liners in cupcake trays. Fill each liner about 3/4 of the way up, to prevent overflow (cupcakes rise!). Tap the tray so that the batter settles and air bubbles are released.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes, but check on the cupcakes around 15 minutes.
- when a tooth pick comes out clean from the center cupcake, they are ready.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let them cool to room temperature.
- Make the strawberry curd: Purée the strawberries and sieve into a pot.
- Mix in the other ingredients and place on low-medium heat. Stir frequently, letting the mixture thicken and boil. Pour into a glass bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to avoid skin forming, then refrigerate.
- Make the Chantilly cream: Beat cream cheese, sugar (sift it in!!!), and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Separately, beat cold cream until it reaches soft peaks. Add in cream cheese mixture in thirds, beating between each addition. Continue beating until mixture is uniform, smooth, and at stiff peaks. Refrigerate.
- Do not over-beat, or the cream will turn to butter!
- Decoration: Either using a bain-marie or the microwave, melt white chocolate candy melts.
- If using the microwave, stir chocolate every 15-20 seconds.
- Stir in the purple food gel or powder.
- If using food gel, add in very gradually. Otherwise, the chocolate will sieze and become crumbly…and you will need to throw it out 😦
- Scoop a small amount of melted chocolate with a spoon. Place the dollop of chocolate on a smooth surface of aluminum foil or parchment paper. Then, with the back of your spoon, swipe the chocolate in a smooth motion. This will create the feather effect.
- Assembly: Fill your cupcakes with the strawberry curd, pipe a smooth blob of cream, and garnish!
- Enjoy!! 😀